2008/9 Schools Wikipedia Selection. Related subjects: Years
|Centuries:||19th century - 20th century - 21st century|
|Decades:||1890s 1900s 1910s - 1920s - 1930s 1940s 1950s|
|Years:||1920 1921 1922 - 1923 - 1924 1925 1926|
Year 1923 (MCMXXIII) was a common year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar.
Events of 1923
- 1 January - Grouping of all UK railway companies into four larger companies.
- 10 January - Lithuania seizes and annexes Memel.
- 11 January - Troops from France and Belgium occupy the Ruhr area to force Germany to pay its reparation payments.
- 17 January - Juan de la Cierva invents the autogyro, a rotary-winged aircraft with an unpowered rotor.
- 18 January - Elon College's campus is destroyed by a fire.
- 8 February - Billy Hughes resigns as Prime Minister of Australia, after the Country Party refuses to govern in coalition with him as the leader of the Nationalist Party. Hughes is succeeded by his Treasurer, Stanley Bruce.
- 23 February - Barcelona (Spain): Albert Einstein visits the city, at the invitation of scientist Esteban Terradas i Illa.
- March - Antigone by Jean Cocteau appears on a Paris stage. Settings by Pablo Picasso, music by Arthur Honegger, and costumes by Gabrielle Chanel. Antonin Artaud played the part of Tiresias.
- 1 March
- USS Connecticut decommissioned.
- Greece adopts the Gregorian calendar.
- 2 March - Time magazine hits newsstands for the first time.
- 9 March - Vladimir Lenin suffers a stroke, his third, which renders him bedridden and unable to speak; consequently he retires his position as Chairman of the Soviet government.
- 28 March - Regia Aeronautica, air force of Fascist Italy, is founded.
- 6 April - The first Prefects Board in Southeast Asia is formed in Victoria Institution, Malaysia.
- 12 April - Kandersteg International Scout Centre came into existence.
- 23 April - The Turkish Council is founded by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.
- 26 April - Wedding of Prince Albert and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon in Westminster Abbey.
- 29 April - Ceremonial inauguration of Gdynia seaport.
- 3 May - Creation of Aleph Zadik Aleph
- 23 May - Launch of Belgium's SABENA Airlines.
- 24 May - End of Irish Civil War.
- 27 May - Ku Klux Klan defies law requiring publication of its members.
- 9 June - Military coup in Bulgaria - prime minister Aleksandar Stamboliyski is ousted (he is killed 14 June).
- 13 June - China President Li abandoned his residence because a warlord had commanded forces to surround the mansion and cut off water and electric supplies of the residence in order to force him to abandon his post.
- 16 June - Storming of Ayan in Siberia concludes the Yakut Revolt and the Russian Civil War
- 18 June - Etna volcano erupts - 60,000 made homeless.
- 25 June - Rapid Bucureşti is formed on the initiative of the Griviţa railroad workers. The name given at the time was CFR Bucureşti.
- 1 July - Alberta Hospital Edmonton was founded.
- 10 July - Large hailstones kill 23 in Rostow, Soviet Union.
- 19 July - 20 July - Assassination of Pancho Villa.
- 24 July - The Treaty of Lausanne, settling the boundaries of modern Turkey, is signed in Switzerland by Greece, Bulgaria and other countries that fought in the First World War.
- 2 August - Warren G. Harding, 29th President of the United States, (1921 - 1923) dies in office and is succeeded by Calvin Coolidge (1923-1929).
- 13 August
- 1 September - Great Kantō earthquake devastates Tokyo and Yokohama, killing an estimated 142,807 people, but according to Japanese construction reserch centre report on 2005, 105,000 confirmed dead 1923 quake.
- 4 September - In Lakehurst, New Jersey, the first American airship, the USS Shenandoah, takes to the sky for the first time.
- 6 September - Italian navy occupies Corfu in retaliation of murder of an Italian officer. The League of Nations protests and they leave on 29 September.
- 8 September - Honda Point Disaster: Seven US Navy destroyers ran aground off the California coast.
- 9 September - Atatürk founded the CHP.
- 10 September - Ireland joins League of Nations.
- 13 September - Military coup in Spain - Miguel Primo de Rivera takes over, setting up a dictatorship. Trade unions are banned for 10 years.
- 17 September - A major fire in Berkeley, California erupts, consumed some 640 structures, including 584 homes in the densely-built neighborhoods north of the campus of the University of California.
- 18 September - 26 September - Newspaper printers strike in New York.
- 26 September - In Bayern, Gustav Ritter von Kahr declares independence from Berlin.
- 13 October - Ankara replaces İstanbul as the capital of Turkey.
- 26 October - in Persia, Reza Khan became Ahmad Shah Qajar's prime minister.
- 29 October - Turkey becomes a republic following the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire.
- 1 November - Finnish flag carrier Finnair airline is started in Aero Oy.
- 8 November - Beer Hall Putsch: In Munich, Adolf Hitler leads the Nazis in an unsuccessful attempt to overthrow the German government; police and troops crush the attempt the next day.
- 12 November - Her Highness Princess Maud of Fife marries Captain Charles Alexander Carnegie in Wellington Barracks, London.
- 15 November - The hyperinflation in Germany reaches its height. One United States dollar is worth 4,200,000,000,000,000 Papiermark (4.2 quadrillion). Gustav Stresemann abolishes the old currency. See inflation in the Weimar Republic.
- 23 November - Gustav Stresemann's coalition government collapses.
- 12 December - In Italy, the Po river dam bursts - 600 dead.
- 20 December - First social fraternity at a Jesuit college in the United States is founded, BEGGARS Fraternity, by a group of 9 men who secured permission to do so from the Pope.
- 27 December - Assassination attempt against the crown prince of Japan in Tokyo.
- International Police Conference in Vienna. International Criminal Police (Interpol) is set up.
- Hoda Cha'arawi Association (formerly The Egyptian Feminist Union) is established in Egypt.
- Police strike in Australia.
- American Law Institute established.
- Moderation League of New York becomes part of the movement for repeal of prohibition in the United States.
- Rainbow Trout introduced into the upper Firehole River in Yellowstone National Park
- Pontic Greek Genocide (1916–1923).
- Third Rif War (1920-1926)
- United States occupation of Haiti (1915-1934)
|Ab urbe condita||2676|
|Bahá'í calendar||79 – 80|
|Byzantine calendar||7431 – 7432|
|Chinese calendar|| 壬戌年十一月十五日
— to —癸亥年十一月廿四日
|Coptic calendar||1639 – 1640|
|Ethiopian calendar||1915 – 1916|
|Hebrew calendar||5683 – 5684|
|- Vikram Samvat||1978 – 1979|
|- Shaka Samvat||1845 – 1846|
|- Kali Yuga||5024 – 5025|
|Iranian calendar||1301 – 1302|
|Islamic calendar||1341 – 1342|
|Japanese calendar|| Taishō 12
|Thai solar calendar||2466|
January - February
- 1 January
- 5 January - Sam Phillips, American record producer (d. 2003)
- 6 January - Jacobo Timerman, Argentine writer (d. 1999)
- 7 January - Hugh Kenner,boom Canadian literary critic (d. 2003)
- 8 January - Johnny Wardle, English cricketer (d. 1985)
- 16 January - Anthony Hecht, American poet (d. 2004)
- 19 January - Jean Stapleton, American actress
- 23 January
- Cot Deal, major league baseball player and coach
- Stephanie Kwolek, inventor of Kevlar fibers
- 25 January - Arvid Carlsson, Swedish scientist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- 26 January - Anne Jeffreys, American actress
- 29 January - Paddy Chayefsky, American writer (d. 1981)
- 31 January - Norman Mailer, American writer and journalist (d. 2007)
- 2 February
- James Dickey, American poet and author (d. 1997)
- Liz Smith, American gossip columnist
- 9 February - Brendan Behan, Irish author (d. 1964)
- 10 February - Cesare Siepi, Italian opera singer
- 12 February - Franco Zeffirelli, Italian film and opera director
- 13 February - Yfrah Neaman, Lebanese-born violinist (d. 2003)
- 13 February - Chuck Yeager, American pilot and NASA official
- 20 February - Forbes Burnham, President of Guyana (d. 1985)
- 24 February - David Soyer, American cellist
- 27 February - Dexter Gordon, American jazz saxophone player (d. 1990)
March - April
- 4 March - Sir Patrick Moore, British astronomer and broadcaster
- 6 March - Ed McMahon, American television personality
- 7 March - Mahlon Clark, American musician (d. 2007)
- 9 March - Walter Kohn, Austrian-born physicist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- 10 March - Val Logsdon Fitch, American nuclear physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 12 March - Wally Schirra, astronaut (d. 2007)
- 21 March - Shri Mataji Nirmala Srivastava, Indian founder of Sahaja Yoga
- 22 March - Marcel Marceau, world renown French Mime (d. 2007)
- 25 March - Wim van Est, Dutch cyclist (d. 2003)
- 26 March - Bob Elliott, American comedian
- 27 March - Louis Simpson, Jamaican-born poet
- 30 March - Milton Acorn, Canadian writer (d. 1986)
- 2 April - G. Spencer-Brown, British mathematician
- 6 April - Ramon Valdes, Mexican comedian (d. 1988)
- 8 April
- 13 April - Don Adams, American actor and comedian (d. 2005)
- 20 April - Mother Angelica, American founder of the Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN)
- 22 April
- Bettie Page, American model
- Aaron Spelling, American television producer and writer (d. 2006)
- 23 April - Dolph Briscoe, Governor of Texas
- 25 April - Albert King, American musician (d. 1992)
- 30 April
- Al Lewis, American actor (d. 2006)
- Francis Tucker, South African Rally Driver (d. 2008)
May - June
- 1 May - Joseph Heller, American novelist (d. 1999)
- 2 May - Patrick Hillery, President of Ireland (d. 2008)
- 3 May - Ralph Hall, American politician
- 4 May - Assi Rahbani, Lebanese composer, musician, conductor, poet and author (d. 1986)
- 5 May - Richard Wollheim, British philosopher (d. 2003)
- 7 May - Anne Baxter, American actress (d. 1985)
- 10 May
- 15 May - John Lanchbery, English composer (d. 2003)
- 16 May - Merton Miller, American economist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 2000)
- 18 May - Hugh Shearer, Prime Minister of Jamaica (d. 2004)
- 21 May
- 23 May - Kalidas Shrestha, Nepalese artist
- 26 May - James Arness, American actor
- 27 May - Henry Kissinger, United States Secretary of State, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize
- 28 May
- György Ligeti, Hungarian composer (d. 2006)
- NTR, Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao, Indian (Telugu) film actor (d. 1996)
- 31 May - Rainier III, Prince of Monaco (d. 2005)
- 4 June - Elizabeth Jolley, Australian writer (d. 2007)
- 10 June - Robert Maxwell, Slovakian-born media entrepreneur (d. 1991)
- 15 June - Johnny Most, American basketball radio announcer (d. 1993)
- 24 June - Jack Carter, American comedian
- 27 June - Gus Zernial, American baseball player
- 28 June - Daniil Khrabrovitsky, Soviet film director (d. 1980)
July - August
- 2 July - Wislawa Szymborska, Polish writer, Nobel Prize laureate
- 4 July - Rudolf Friedrich, Swiss Federal Councilor
- 8 July - Harrison Dillard, American athlete
- 18 July - Jerome H. Lemelson, American inventor (d. 1997)
- 20 July - Stanisław Albinowski, Polish economist and journalist (d. 2005)
- 21 July - Rudolph A. Marcus, Canadian chemist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 22 July
- Bob Dole, American politician and Presidential candidate
- Mukesh, Indian singer (d. 1976)
- The Fabulous Moolah, American Professional Wrestler (d. 2007)
- 23 July
- Witto Aloma, Cuban Major League Baseball player (d. 1997)
- Norma Zimmer, American singer
- Estelle Getty, American actress (d. 2008)
- 28 July - H.S.S. Lawrence, Indian educationist
- 29 July - Jim Marshall, founder of Marshall Amplification.
- 3 August - Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria, Pope of the Coptic Christianity
- 5 August - Devan Nair, third President of Singapore (d. 2005)
- 16 August - Millôr Fernandes, Brazilian cartoonist and playwright
- 20 August - Jim Reeves, American singer (d. 1964)
- 21 August
- 24 August - Arthur Jensen, American educational psychologist
- 26 August - Wolfgang Sawallisch, German conductor and pianist
- 29 August - Marmaduke Hussey, Baron Hussey of North Bradley, Chairman of the BBC (d. 2006)
September - October
- 1 September
- Rocky Marciano, American boxer (d. 1969)
- Kenneth Roy Thomson, 2nd Baron Thomson of Fleet, Canadian businessman and art collector (d. 2006)
- 3 September - Mort Walker, American cartoonist
- 6 September - King Peter II of Yugoslavia (d. 1970)
- 7 September - Madeleine Dring, British composer and actress (d. 1977)
- 9 September - Daniel Carleton Gajdusek, American virologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- 16 September - Lee Kuan Yew, Prime Minister of Singapore
- 17 September - Hank Williams, American country musician (d. 1953)
- 18 September - Queen Anne of Romania
- 20 September - Geraldine Clinton Little, Irish-born poet (d. 1997)
- 22 September - Dannie Abse, Welsh poet
- 26 September - Dev Anand, Indian actor
- 3 October - Edward Oliver LeBlanc, Dominican politician (d. 2004)
- 4 October - Charlton Heston, American actor (d. 2008)
- 5 October - Albert Guðmundsson, Icelandic professional football player and politician (d. 1994)
- 5 October - Glynis Johns, British actress
- 10 October - Murray Walker, British motor racing commenator
- 13 October - Faas Wilkes, Dutch football (soccer) player (d. 2006)
- 15 October - Italo Calvino, Italian writer (d. 1985)
- 17 October - Charles McClendon, Hall of Fame college football coach (d. 2001)
- 23 October
- 24 October - Denise Levertov, British-born American poet (d. 1997)
November - December
- 1 November
- Victoria de los Angeles, Catalan soprano (d. 2005)
- Gordon R. Dickson, Canadian author (d. 2001)
- 3 November - Tomás Cardinal Ó Fiaich, Northern Irish clergyman (d. 1990)
- 8 November - Jack Kilby, American electrical engineer, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics (d. 2005)
- 18 November - Alan Shepard, American astronaut (d. 1998)
- 20 November - Nadine Gordimer, South African writer, Nobel Prize laureate
- 22 November - Arthur Hiller, Canadian film director
- 23 November - Billy Haughton, American harness driver and trainer (d. 1986)
- 25 November - Mauno Koivisto, President of Finland
- 2 December - Maria Callas, Greek soprano (d. 1977)
- 12 December - Bob Barker, American game show host
- 13 December
- Philip Warren Anderson, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- Larry Doby, baseball player (d. 2003)
- Antoni Tàpies, Catalan painter
- 14 December
- Gerard Reve, Dutch writer (d. 2006)
- Sully Boyar, American actor (d. 2001)
- 15 December - Freeman Dyson, English-born physicist
- 17 December - Jaroslav Pelikan, American historian (d. 2006)
- 23 December
- Claudio Scimone, Italian conductor
- James Stockdale, U.S. Navy admiral (d. 2005)
- 24 December - George Patton IV, American general (d. 2004)
- 25 December - Sonia Olschanezky, World War II heroine (d. 1944)
- date unknown - Geoffrey Hattersley-Smith, English/Canadian geologist and glaciologist
January - June
- 9 January
- 23 January - Max Nordau, Hungarian author, philosopher, and Zionist leader (b. 1849)
- 31 January - Eligiusz Niewiadomski, Polish artist, political activist and assassin (executed) (b. 1869)
- 3 February - Kuroki Tamemoto, Japanese military leader (b. 1844)
- 10 February - Wilhelm Röntgen, German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1845)
- 23 February - Théophile Delcassé, French statesman (b. 1852)
- 8 March - Johannes Diderik van der Waals, Dutch physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1837)
- 26 March - Sarah Bernhardt, French actress (b. 1844)
- 27 March - Sir James Dewar, Scottish chemist (b. 1842)
- 28 March - Michel-Joseph Maunoury, French general (b. 1847)
- 4 April - John Venn, British mathematician (b. 1834)
- 5 April - George Herbert, 5th Earl of Carnarvon, English financier of Egyptian excavations (b. 1866)
- 23 April - Princess Louise of Prussia, Grand Duchess of Baden (b. 1838)
- 9 June - Princess Helena of the United Kingdom, third daughter of Queen Victoria (b. 1846)
- 24 June - Edith Södergran, Finnish author (b. 1892)
July - December
- 10 July - Albert Chevalier, music hall comedian (b. 1861)
- 23 July - Pancho Villa, Mexican revolutionary (b. 1878)
- 2 August - Warren G. Harding, 29th President of the United States (b. 1865)
- 24 August - Kato Tomosaburo, 21st Prime Minister of Japan (b. 1861)
- 9 September - Hermes Rodrigues da Fonseca, 8th President of Brazil (b. 1855)
- 30 October - Andrew Bonar Law, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (b. 1858)
- 9 November (among those killed in Beer Hall Putsch):
- 14 November - Ernest Augustus, Crown Prince of Hanover (b. 1845)
- 12 December - Raymond Radiguet, French author (b. 1903)
- 13 December - Théophile Steinlen, Swiss painter (b. 1859)
- date unknown - Carl L. Boeckmann, Norwegian-American artist (b. 1867)
- Physics - Robert Andrews Millikan
- Chemistry - Fritz Pregl
- Physiology or Medicine - Frederick Grant Banting, John James Richard Macleod
- Literature - William Butler Yeats
- Peace - Not awarded