2008/9 Schools Wikipedia Selection. Related subjects: Years
|Centuries:||19th century - 20th century - 21st century|
|Decades:||1890s 1900s 1910s - 1920s - 1930s 1940s 1950s|
|Years:||1919 1920 1921 - 1922 - 1923 1924 1925|
Year 1922 (MCMXXII) was a common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar.
Events of 1922
- 7 January - Dáil Éireann, the extra-legal parliament of the Irish Republic, ratifies the Anglo-Irish Treaty by 64-57 votes.
- 8 January - The Social Democratic Youth League of Norway is founded.
- 10 January - Arthur Griffith is elected President of Dáil Éireann.
- 11 January - First successful insulin treatment of diabetes.
- 12 January - British government releases remaining Irish prisoners captured in the War of Independence.
- 13 January - Flu epidemic has claimed 804 victims in Britain.
- 15 January - Michael Collins becomes Chairman of the Irish Provisional Government.
- 22 January - Pope Benedict XV dies.
- 24 January - Christian K. Nelson patents the Eskimo Pie.
- 29 January - Union of Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador is dissolved
- February - Ring Magazine is first published.
- 1 February - William Desmond Taylor was murdered.
- 2 February - Ulysses (novel) by James Joyce is published in Paris on his fortieth birthday by Sylvia Beach.
- 5 February - DeWitt and Lila Wallace publish the first issue of Reader's Digest.
- 6 February
- 8 February
- 14 February - Finnish Minister of the Interior Heikki Ritavuori is assassinated by Ernst Tandefelt.
- 25 February - Murderer Henri Désiré Landru is beheaded by the guillotine.
- 27 February - A challenge to the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, allowing women the right to vote, is rebuffed by the Supreme Court of the United States.
- 28 February - The United Kingdom accepts the independence of Egypt.
- 1 March
- Ice mass breaks the Oder Dam in Breslau
- The British Civil Aviation Authority is established.
- 11 March - Mohandas Gandhi is arrested in Bombay for sedition
- 13 March - HRH Prince of Wales Edward VIII inaugurates the Prince of Wales Royal Indian Military College in Dehradun, India marking a capitulation of the British Empire to growing pressure for Indianization of the Officer Cadre of the British Indian Army
- 15 March - Egypt having gained nominal independence from the United Kingdom, Fuad I becomes King of Egypt.
- 18 March - In India, Mohandas Gandhi is sentenced to six years in prison for sedition. He would serve only two years.
- 20 March - The USS Langley is commissioned as the first United States Navy aircraft carrier.
- 23 March - Queensland, Australia abolishes Legislative Council (Upper House).
- 3 April - Josef Stalin was appointed General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Soviet Communist Party.
- 7 April
- 10 April - The historic Genoa Conference commences in Genoa. The representatives of 34 countries convened to speak about monetary economics in the wake of World War I.
- 13 April - State of Massachusetts opens all public offices to women
- 15 April - England's Prince of Wales visits Japanese paramilitary youth group Seinendan in annexed Korea.
- 16 April - The Treaty of Rapallo marks rapprochement between the Weimar Republic and Bolshevik Russia.
- 22 April - Lambda Chapter of Joe Whelan Sorority, Incorporated was chartered. It is the first chapter of a black sorority in New York State.
- 5 May - In The Bronx, construction begins on Yankee Stadium.
- 11 May - KGU begins broadcasting in Hawaii.
- 12 May - 20-ton meteorite lands near Blackstone, Virginia, USA
- 19 May - Young Pioneer organization of the Soviet Union is established.
- 29 May - British Liberal MP Dan Gallant jailed for 7 years for fraud
- 30 May - In Washington, D.C., the Lincoln Memorial is dedicated.
- 1 June
- Official foundation of the Royal Ulster Constabulary.
- Bolshevik forces defeat Basmachi troops under Enver Pasha
- 14 June - U.S. President Warren G. Harding makes first speech on the radio.
- 22 June - Irish Republican Army agents assassinate British field marshal Henry Hughes Wilson in Belgravia; assassins are sentenced to death 18 July.
- 24 June - Assassination of Weimar Republic foreign minister Walter Rathenau - murderers are captured 17 July
- 26 June - Louis Honoré Charles Antoine Grimaldi becomes Reigning Prince Louis II of Monaco.
- 28 June - The Irish Civil War begins
- 11 July - The Hollywood Bowl opens.
- 22 August - General Michael Collins is assassinated in west Cork.
- 23 August - Revolt against the Spanish in Morocco
- 28 August - Japan agrees to withdraw its troops from Siberia
- 9 September - Turkish forces pursuing withdrawing Greek troops enter İzmir
- 11 September - One of the Herald Sun of Melbourne, Australia's predecessor papers The Sun News-Pictorial is founded.
- 13 September - Gdynia Seaport Construction Act passed by the Polish parliament.
- 13 September - 15 - Fire, probably started by Turkish troops, destroys most of Smyrna. Death toll estimated 100,000
- 18 September - Hungary joins the League of Nations
- 22 September - Mandate of Palestine approved by the Council of the League of Nations.
- 9 October - Sir William Horwood, London Metropolitan Police Service commissioner is poisoned by arsenic-filled chocolates
- 23 October - German army occupies Saxony and crushes Soviet Republic of Saxony
- 25 October - The Third Dáil enacts the Constitution of the Irish Free State.
- 28 October
- 31 October - Benito Mussolini becomes the youngest Premier in the history of Italy.
- 1 November
- 5 November - In Egypt, British archaeologist Howard Carter and his men find the entrance to King Tutankhamen's tomb in the Valley of the Kings.
- 12 November - Sigma Gamma Rho (ΣΓΡ) Sorority, Incorporated was founded on November 12, 1922, by seven educators in Indianapolis, Indiana. The group became an incorporated national collegiate sorority on December 30, 1929, when a charter was granted to Alpha chapter at Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- 14 November - The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) begins radio service in the United Kingdom. 2LO became the first radio station in the United Kingdom.
- 15 November - In the United Kingdom general election forced by the Conservatives' withdrawal from the coalition government, the Conservative Party wins an overall majority.
(The 1922 Committee, popularly believed to take its name from this occasion, was not founded until the following year.)
- 17 November - Former Ottoman sultan Mehmed VI leaves for exile in Italy.
- 18 November - Marcel Proust, author of In Search of Lost Time, dies.
- 19 November - Abdul Mejid II, Crown Prince of the Ottoman Empire is elected Caliph.
- 21 November - Rebecca Felton of Georgia takes the oath of office, becoming the first woman United States Senator.
- 24 November - Popular author and Irish Republican Army member Robert Erskine Childers is executed by an Irish Free State firing squad for illegally carrying a revolver.
- 26 November - Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon become the first people to enter the tomb of Egyptian King Tutankhamun in over 3000 years.
- 5 December - British parliament enacts the Irish Free State Constitution Act, by which it legally sanctions the new Constitution of the Irish Free State.
- 6 December - The Irish Free State officially comes into existence. George V becomes the Free State's monarch. Tim Healy is appointed first Governor-General of the Irish Free State and W. T. Cosgrave becomes President of the Executive Council.
- 16 December - Assassination of Gabriel Narutowicz, the president of Poland
- 30 December - Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, and the Transcaucasia come together to form the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.
- Earl W. Bascom, rodeo cowboy and artist, designs and makes rodeo's first hornless bronc saddle at Lethbridge, Alberta Canada
- Invention of Vegemite by Australian Fred Walker
- Kurd Istigdul Djemijetin, the Kurdish Independence Committee, founded
- Molly Pitcher Club formed to promote the repeal of prohibition in United States
- Thompson Webb founds Webb School for Boys.
- Extinction of the Barbary Lion in the wild, with the last killed in Morocco, in the area of Zelan and Beni Mguild Forests .
- The Amur Tiger became extinct in South Korea by this date .
|Ab urbe condita||2675|
|Bahá'í calendar||78 – 79|
|Byzantine calendar||7430 – 7431|
|Chinese calendar|| 辛酉年十二月初四日
— to —壬戌年十一月十四日
|Coptic calendar||1638 – 1639|
|Ethiopian calendar||1914 – 1915|
|Hebrew calendar||5682 – 5683|
|- Vikram Samvat||1977 – 1978|
|- Shaka Samvat||1844 – 1845|
|- Kali Yuga||5023 – 5024|
|Iranian calendar||1300 – 1301|
|Islamic calendar||1340 – 1341|
|Japanese calendar|| Taishō 11
|Thai solar calendar||2465|
- 1 January - Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, U.S. Senator from South Carolina
- 7 January - Jean-Pierre Rampal, French flutist (d. 2000)
- 9 January - Har Gobind Khorana, Indian biochemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- 12 January - Tadeusz Żychiewicz, Polish journalist, art historian and publicist (d. 1994)
- 13 January - Albert Lamorisse, French film director (d. 1970)
- 16 January - Ernesto Bonino, Italian singer
- 17 January
- Nicholas Katzenbach, American politician
- Betty White, American television actress
- 19 January - Guy Madison, American actor (d. 1996)
- 21 January - Telly Savalas, American actor (d. 1994)
- 21 January - Paul Scofield, English actor (d. 2008)
- 22 January
- Leonel Brizola, Brazilian politician
- Howard Moss, American poet, dramatist, and critic (d. 1987)
- 24 January - Charles Socarides, American psychiatrist (d. 2005)
- 28 January - Robert W. Holley, American biochemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1993)
- 30 January - Dick Martin, American comedian
- 1 February - Renata Tebaldi, Italian soprano (d. 2004)
- 2 February - Stoyanka Mutafova - Bulgarian actress
- 6 February
- Patrick Macnee, British actor
- Bill Johnston, Australian cricketer
- Denis Norden, British television and radio scriptwriter and personality
- 9 February - Kathryn Grayson, American actress
- 12 February - Tun Hussein Onn, third Prime Minister of Malaysia (d. 1990)
- 13 February - Gordon Tullock, American economist
- 15 February - John Bayard Anderson, U.S Congressman and Presidential candidate
- 17 February
- Enrico Banducci, American nightclub owner (d. 2007)
- Marshall Teague, American race car driver (d. 1959)
- 18 February - Helen Gurley Brown, American editor and publisher
- 24 February
- Richard Hamilton, British painter
- Steven Hill, American actor
- 26 February
- William Baumol, American economist
- Margaret Leighton, British actress
- 1 March
- 4 March
- 5 March - Pier Paolo Pasolini, Italian film director (d. 1975)
- 8 March
- Cyd Charisse, American actress and dancer (d. 2008)
- Mizuki Shigeru, Japanese author
- Ralph H. Baer, German-born American inventor
- 9 March - Tommy Cooper, Welsh comedian and magician (d. 1984)
- 11 March - Tun Abdul Razak, second Prime Minister of Malaysia (d. 1976)
- 12 March
- 16 March - Harding Lemay, American television scriptwriter and playwright
- 17 March - Patrick Suppes, American philosopher
- 18 March - Egon Bahr, German politician
- 20 March - Carl Reiner, American film director, producer, actor, and comedian
- 21 March
- 27 March - Stefan Wul, French writer (d. 2003)
- 28 March
- 31 March - Richard Kiley, American actor and singer (d. 1999)
- 1 April - William Manchester, American writer (d. 2004)
- 3 April - Maurice Riel, Canadian senator
- 4 April - Elmer Bernstein, American composer (d. 2004)
- 5 April
- Tom Finney, English footballer
- Christopher Hewett, British actor (d. 2001)
- Gale Storm, American singer and actress
- 7 April - Mongo Santamaria, Cuban jazz musician (d. 2003)
- 13 April - Julius Nyerere, President of Tanzania (d. 1999)
- 16 April - Kingsley Amis, English novelist (d. 1995)
- 16 April - Leo Tindemans, former Belgian Prime Minister
- 22 April - Charles Mingus, American musician (d. 1979)
- 28 April - Alistair MacLean, Scottish writer (d. 1987)
- 4 May - Eugenie Clark, American marine biologist known as the "Shark Lady"
- 7 May
- Darren McGavin, American actor (d. 2006)
- Joe O'Donnell, American documentary photographer, photojournalist (d. 2007)
- 10 May - Nancy Walker, American movie and television actress (d. 1992)
- 11 May - Ameurfina Melencio-Herrera, Filipino Supreme Court jurist
- 14 May - Franjo Tuđman, President of Croatia (d. 1999)
- 15 May - Jakucho Setouchi, Japanese writer and Buddhist nun
- 18 May
- Gerda Boyesen, Norwegian-born body psychotherapist (d. 2005)
- Kai Winding, Danish-born musician (d. 1983)
- 21 May - James Lopez Watson, American judge (d. 2001)
- 22 May - Quinn Martin, American television producer (d. 1987)
- 25 May - Enrico Berlinguer, Italian politician (d. 1984)
- 27 May - Christopher Lee, English actor
- 28 May - Lou Duva, American boxing trainer
- 29 May - Iannis Xenakis, Greek composer (d. 2001)
- 30 May - Hal Clement, American writer (d. 2003)
- 31 May - Denholm Elliott, English actor (d. 1992)
- 1 June - Povel Ramel, Swedish musician
- 2 June - Charlie Sifford, American golfer
- 10 June - Judy Garland, American singer and actress (d. 1969)
- 18 June - Claude Helffer, French pianist (d. 2004)
- 19 June - Aage Niels Bohr, Danish physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 22 June - Mona Lisa, Filipino actress
- 24 June - Tata Giacobetti, Italian singer and lyricist ( Quartetto Cetra) (d. 1988)
- 29 June - Vasko Popa, Yugoslavian poet (d. 1991)
- 15 July - Leon M. Lederman, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 18 July - Thomas Kuhn, American philosopher of science (d. 1996)
- 19 July - Tuanku Jaafar ibni Almarhum Tuanku Abdul Rahman, King of Malaysia
- 31 July - Bill Kaysing, American writer
- 3 August - Robert Sumner, American evangelist and author
- 15 August - Lukas Foss, German-born composer
- 17 August - Agostinho Neto, Angolan politician (d. 1979)
- 22 August - Sosuke Uno, Prime Minister of Japan (d. 1998)
- 23 August - George Kell, baseball player
- 24 August - René Lévesque, 23rd Premier of Quebec and Howard Zinn, social activist and historian.
- 1 September
- Yvonne De Carlo, Canadian-born actress (d. 2007)
- Vittorio Gassmann, Italian actor and director (d. 2000)
- 3 September
- 8 September - Sid Caesar, American actor and comedian
- 9 September - Hans Georg Dehmelt, German-born physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 10 September - Yma Súmac, Peruvian singer
- 12 September - Jackson Mac Low, American poet (d. 2004)
- 15 September - Jackie Cooper, American actor and director
- 22 September - Chen Ning Yang, Chinese-born physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 24 September - Floyd Levin, American-born musicologist
- 25 September - Hammer DeRoburt, first President of Nauru (d. 1992)
- 1 October - Burke Marshall, American lawyer and politician (d. 2003)
- 5 October - José Froilán González, Argentine race car driver
- 15 October - Luigi Giussani, Italian Catholic priest (d. 2005)
- 19 October - Jack Anderson, American journalist (d. 2005)
- 22 October - John Chafee, American politician (d. 1999)
- 23 October - Cameron Sharp, Canadian Citizen
- 27 October - Poul Bundgaard, Danish actor and singer (d. 1998)
- 31 October - Barbara Bel Geddes, American actress (d. 2005)
- 8 November - Christiaan Barnard, South African surgeon (d. 2001)
- 9 November
- Raymond Devos, French humorist (d. 2006)
- Dorothy Dandridge, American actress (d. 1965)
- 11 November - Kurt Vonnegut, American novelist (d. 2007)
- 14 November
- Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Egyptian Secretary General of the United Nations
- Veronica Lake, American actress (d. 1973)
- 16 November
- Sidney Mintz, American anthropologist
- José Saramago, Portuguese author, Nobel Prize laureate
- Hoang Minh Chinh, Vietnamese politician and dissident (d. 2008)
- 17 November - Stanley Cohen, American physician, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- 19 November - Yuri Knorozov, Russian linguist and epigrapher (d. 1999)
- 23 November - Donald Tennant, American advertising agency executive (d. 2001)
- 26 November - Charles M. Schulz, American cartoonist (d. 2000)
- 9 December - Redd Foxx, American comedian and star of the television show Sanford and Son
- 11 December - Dilip Kumar, Indian actor
- 14 December - Nikolay Basov, Russian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 2001)
- 17 December - Alan Voorhees, American engineer and urban planner (d. 2005)
- 20 December - Charita Bauer, American actress/Soap opera star (d. 1985)
- 22 December - Jack Brooks, American politician
- 23 December - Micheline Ostermeyer, French athlete and musician (d. 2001)
- 24 December - Ava Gardner, American actress (d. 1990)
- 28 December - Stan Lee, American comics creator
- 29 December - William Gaddis, American writer (d. 1998)
- 5 January - Ernest Shackleton, Irish explorer (b. 1874)
- 10 January - Okuma Shigenobu, 8th Prime Minister of Japan (b. 1838)
- 22 January
- 23 January - Arthur Nikisch, Hungarian conductor (b. 1855)
- 27 January
- 1 February
- 3 February - John Butler Yeats, Northern Irish artist (b. 1839)
- 14 February - Heikki Ritavuori, Finnish Minister of Interior (b. 1880)
- 1 March - Rafael Moreno Aranzadi, Spanish footballer (b. 1892)
- 24 March - Walter Parr, British preacher (b. 1871)
- 1 April - Emperor Karl I of Austria (b. 1887)
- 2 April - Hermann Rorschach, Swiss psychiatrist (b. 1884)
- 7 May - Max Wagenknecht, German composer (b. 1857)
- 18 May - Charles Louis Alphonse Laveran, French physician, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (b. 1845)
- 19 May - Son, Byong-Hi, Korean activist (b. 1861)
- 4 June - William Halse Rivers Rivers, English doctor (b. 1864)
- 6 June - Lillian Russell, American singer and actress (b. 1861)
- 18 June - Jacobus Kapteyn, Dutch astronomer (b. 1851)
- 26 June - Albert I of Monaco (b. 1848)
- 20 July - Andrey Markov, Russian mathematician (b. 1856)
- 2 August - Alexander Graham Bell, Scottish-born inventor (b. 1847)
- 5 August - Harry Boland, Irish republican (b. 1887)
- 12 August - Arthur Griffith, President of Ireland (b. 1872)
- 14 August - Alfred Harmsworth, 1st Viscount Northcliffe, newspaper magnate (b. 1865)
- 22 August - Michael Collins, Irish leader (killed in ambush) (b. 1890)
- 4 September - Sarah L. Winchester, American builder of the Winchester Mystery House (b. 1837)
- 10 September - Wilfrid Scawen Blunt, poet (b. 1840)
- 26 September - Thomas E. Watson, American politician and senator (b. 1856)
- 7 October - Marie Lloyd, English singer (b. 1870)
- 30 October - Géza Gárdonyi, Hungarian author (b. 1863)
- 7 November - Sam Thompson, baseball player (b. 1860)
- 23 November - Eduard Seler, Prussian scholar and Mesoamericanist (b. 1849)
- 24 November - Robert Erskine Childers, novelist and Irish nationalist (executed) (b. 1870)
- 16 December - Gabriel Narutowicz, President of Poland (b. 1865)
- The California grizzly bear became extinct this year.
- Physics - Niels Henrik David Bohr
- Chemistry - Francis William Aston
- Physiology or Medicine - Archibald Vivian Hill, Otto Fritz Meyerhof
- Literature - Jacinto Benavente
- Peace - Fridtjof Nansen
- List of ship commissionings in 1922
- List of ship decommissionings in 1922
- List of shipwrecks in 1922