2008/9 Schools Wikipedia Selection. Related subjects: Years
|Centuries:||19th century - 20th century - 21st century|
|Decades:||1870s 1880s 1890s - 1900s - 1910s 1920s 1930s|
|Years:||1901 1902 1903 - 1904 - 1905 1906 1907|
Year 1904 (MCMIV) was a leap year starting on Friday (link will display calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a leap year starting on Thursday of the 13-day-slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1904
January - February
- 7 January - The distress signal CQD is established, only to be replaced two years later by SOS.
- 12 January - Henry Ford sets a new automobile land speed record of 91.37mph.
- 16 January - The first large-scale bodybuilding competition in America takes place at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
- 7 February - The Great Baltimore Fire in Baltimore, Maryland destroys over 1,500 buildings in 30 hours.
- 8 February - A Japanese surprise attack on Port Arthur (Lushun) starts Russo-Japanese War.
- 10 February - Roger Casement publishes his account of Belgian atrocities in Congo.
- 23 February - For $10 million, the United States gains control of the Panama Canal Zone.
- 28 February - Foundation of Sport Lisboa e Benfica.
March - April
- 3 March - Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany becomes the first person to make a political recording of a document, using Thomas Edison's cylinder.
- 4 March - Russo-Japanese War: Russian troops in Korea retreat toward Manchuria followed by 100,000 Japanese troops.
- 31 March - British expedition to Tibet: Battle of Guru: British under Colonel Francis Younghusband defeat ill-equipped Tibetan troops.
- 8 April
- 19 April - The Great Toronto Fire destroys much of that city's downtown, but there are no fatalities.
- 27 April - The Australian Labor Party becomes the first such party to gain national government, under Chris Watson.
- 30 April - The Louisiana Purchase Exposition World's Fair opens in St. Louis, Missouri (closes 1 December).
May - June
- 4 May - U.S. Army engineers begin work on The Panama Canal.
- 5 May - Pitching against the Philadelphia Athletics, Cy Young of the Boston Americans throws the first perfect game in the modern era of baseball.
- 9 May - GWR 3440 City of Truro becomes the first railway locomotive to exceed 100mph.
- 21 May - The International Federation of Association Football, FIFA, is established.
- 10 June - Irish author James Joyce meets his future wife Nora Barnacle.
- 15 June - A fire aboard the steamboat General Slocum in New York City's East River kills 1021.
- 16 June - Eugen Schauman assassinates Nikolai Bobrikov, Governor-General of Finland.
- 16 June - James Joyce walks to Ringsend with Nora Barnacle; he later used this date ( Bloomsday) as the setting for his novel Ulysses.
- 28 June - The Danish ocean liner SS Norge runs aground and sinks close to Rockall, killing 635, including 225 Norwegian emigrants.
- 29 June - The 1904 Moscow tornado occurs.
July - August
- 1 July - The third Modern Olympic Games opens in St. Louis, Missouri, USA as part of the World's Fair.
- 21 July - The Trans-Siberian railway is completed.
- 23 July - In St. Louis, Missouri, the ice cream cone is invented during the Louisiana Purchase Exposition.
- 3 August - British expedition to Tibet: The British expedition under Colonel Francis Younghusband takes Lhasa in Tibet.
- 14 August - Ismael Montes becomes President of Bolivia.
- 17 August - Russo-Japanese War: Japanese infantry charge fails to take Port Arthur.
- 18 August - Chris Watson resigns as Prime Minister of Australia and is succeeded by George Reid.
September - October
- 7 September - British expedition to Tibet: The Dalai Lama signs the Anglo-Tibetan Treaty with Colonel Francis Younghusband.
- 15 October - Theta Tau, the Professional Engineering Fraternity, is founded at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- 19 October - Polytechnic University of the Philippines is founded as Manila Business School through the superintendence of the American C.A. O'Reilley.
- 21 October - Russo-Japanese War: The Russian Baltic Fleet fires on British trawlers it mistakes for Japanese torpedo boats in the North Sea, in what would be known as the Dogger Bank incident.
- 27 October - The first underground line of the New York City Subway opens.
November - December
- 4 November - In Florence, Italy, the Arno River floods.
- 8 November - Theodore Roosevelt defeats Alton B. Parker in the U.S. presidential election.
- 24 November - The first successful caterpillar track is made (it would later revolutionize construction vehicles and land warfare).
- 2 December - St. Petersburg Soviet urges run on the banks: the attempt fails and the executive committee is arrested.
- 3 December - Charles Dillon Perrine discovers Jupiter's largest irregular satellite, Himalia.
- 4 December - KU or Konservativ Ungdom (Young Conservatives) in Denmark is founded by Carl F. Herman von Rosen.
- 10 December - Founding of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity.
- 27 December - The stage play Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up premieres in London.
- 30 December - East Boston Tunnel opens.
- 31 December - In New York City, the first New Year's Eve celebration is held in Times Square.
- Herero Wars begin.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints President Joseph F. Smith issues a " Second Manifesto" against polygamy.
- Subject of alcohol and heart attacks first investigated.
- Loftus Road and Griffin Park football stadiums open.
- Stuyvesant High School is founded in New York City.
- Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905)
- 1904-1905 Welsh Revival
|Ab urbe condita||2657|
|Bahá'í calendar||60 – 61|
|Byzantine calendar||7412 – 7413|
|Chinese calendar|| 癸卯年十一月十四日
— to —甲辰年十一月廿五日
|Coptic calendar||1620 – 1621|
|Ethiopian calendar||1896 – 1897|
|Hebrew calendar||5664 – 5665|
|- Vikram Samvat||1959 – 1960|
|- Shaka Samvat||1826 – 1827|
|- Kali Yuga||5005 – 5006|
|Iranian calendar||1282 – 1283|
|Islamic calendar||1321 – 1322|
|Japanese calendar|| Meiji 37
|Thai solar calendar||2447|
- 1 January - Fazal Ilahi Chaudhry, Pakistani politician (d. 1982)
- 3 January - Jeane Dixon, American astrologer (d. 1997)
- 10 January - Ray Bolger, American actor, singer, and dancer (d. 1987)
- 13 January - Richard Addinsell, British composer (d. 1977)
- 14 January - Cecil Beaton, English photographer (d. 1980)
- 18 January - Cary Grant, English actor (d. 1986)
- 22 January
- 26 January
- 27 January - J. J. Gibson, American psychologist (d. 1979)
- 28 January - Canuplin, Filipino magician and bodabil entertainer (d. 1979)
- 29 January - Arnold Gehlen, German philosopher (d. 1976)
- 1 February - S. J. Perelman, American humorist and author (d. 1979)
- 3 February
- 4 February - MacKinlay Kantor, American writer and historian (d. 1977)
- 11 February - Sir Keith Holyoake, Prime Minister of New Zealand (d. 1983)
- 16 February
- George F. Kennan, American diplomat (d. 2005)
- Philip Rabinowitz (runner), South African record breaking sprinter (d. 2008)
- 20 February - Aleksei Kosygin, Premier of the Soviet Union (d. 1980)
- 29 February - Jimmy Dorsey, American bandleader (d. 1957)
- 1 March - Glenn Miller, American bandleader (d. 1944)
- 2 March - Dr. Seuss, American children's author (d. 1991)
- 4 March
- 7 March - Reinhard Heydrich, Nazi official (d. 1942)
- 14 March - Doris Eaton Travis, American actress
- 20 March - B. F. Skinner, American behavioural psychologist (d. 1990)
- 22 March - Itche Goldberg, Yiddish author (d. 2006)
- 26 March
- 1 April - Nikolai Berzarin, Russian Red Army General (d.1945)
- 3 April - Sally Rand, American dancer and actress (d. 1979)
- 8 April - John Hicks, English economist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1989)
- 9 April - Sharkey Bonano, American jazz musician (d. 1972)
- 14 April - Sir John Gielgud, English actor (d. 2000)
- 15 April - Arshile Gorky, Armenian-born painter (d. 1948)
- 16 April - Fifi D'Orsay, Canadian actress (d. 1983)
- 22 April - Robert Oppenheimer, American physicist (d. 1967)
- 24 April - Willem de Kooning, Dutch artist (d. 1997)
- 26 April - Jimmy McGrory, Scottish footballer (d. 1982)
- 27 April - Cecil Day-Lewis, English poet (d. 1972)
- 29 April - Pedro Vargas, Mexican singer and actor (d. 1989)
- 6 May
- 8 May - John Snagge, British radio personality (d. 1996)
- 11 May - Salvador Dalí, Spanish artist (d. 1989)
- 17 May - Jean Gabin, French actor (d. 1976)
- 21 May
- 27 May - Chuhei Nambu, Japanese athlete (d. 1997)
- 2 June
- 3 June - Jan Peerce, American tenor (d. 1984)
- 6 June - Francisco López Merino, Argentine poet (d. 1928)
- 26 June - Peter Lorre, Hungarian-born film actor (d. 1964)
- 5 July - Ernst Mayr, German-born biologist and author (d. 2005)
- 6 July - Erik Wickberg, General of The Salvation Army (d. 1996)
- 8 July - Henri Cartan, French mathematician (d. 2008)
- 12 July - Pablo Neruda, Chilean poet, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1973)
- 15 July - Rudolf Arnheim, German-born author (d. 2007)
- 28 July - Pavel Alekseyevich Cherenkov, Russian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1990)
- 4 August - Witold Gombrowicz, Polish novelist and dramatist (d. 1969)
- 7 August - Ralph Bunche, American diplomat, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1971)
- 12 August - Tsarevich Alexei of Russia (d. 1918)
- 16 August - Wendell Meredith Stanley, American chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1971)
- 17 August
- 21 August - Count Basie, American musician and bandleader (d. 1984)
- 22 August - Deng Xiaoping, Chinese leader (d. 1997)
- 23 August
- 28 August - Secondo Campini, Italian jet pioneer (d. 1980)
- 29 August - Werner Forssmann, German physician, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1979)
- 9 September - Feroze Khan, Pakistani field hockey player (d. 2005)
- 22 September - Joseph Valachi, American gangster (d. 1971)
- 29 September - Greer Garson, English actress (d. 1996)
- 1 October
- 3 October - Charles J. Pedersen, American chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1989)
- 9 October - Wally Brown, American actor and comedian (d. 1961)
- 20 October - Tommy Douglas, Canadian politician (d. 1986)
- 23 October - Harvey Penick, American golfer (d. 1995)
- 25 October - Vladimir Peter Tytla, American animator (d. 1968)
- 27 October - Erno Schwarz, Hungarian American soccer player (d. 1974)
- 2 November - Louis Eugène Félix Néel, French physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 2000)
- 4 November - Tadeusz Żyliński, Polish technician and textilist (d. 1967)
- 11 November - J. H. C. Whitehead, British mathematician (d. 1960)
- 12 November - Jacques Tourneur, French director (d. 1977)
- 14 November
- 16 November - Nnamdi Azikiwe, President of Nigeria (d. 1996)
- 25 November
- 30 November - Clyfford Still, American painter (d. 1980)
- 6 December - Eve Curie, French author (d. 2007)
- 12 December - Baron Nicolas de Gunzburg, French-born magazine editor and socialite (d. 1981)
- 18 December - George Stevens, American film director (d. 1975)
- 24 December - Joseph M. Juran, American engineer and philanthropist (d. 2008)
- 25 December - Gerhard Herzberg, German-born chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1999)
- 26 December - Alejo Carpentier, Cuban writer (d. 1980)
- 30 December - Dmitri Borisovich Kabalevsky, Russian composer (d. 1987)
- 31 December - Umm Kulthum, Egyptian singer and actress (d. 1975)
- date unknown
January - June
- 2 January - 10 January - Jean-Léon Gérôme, French painter (b. 1824)
- 20 January - Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev, Russian chemist (b. 1834)
- 8 February - Alfred Ainger, English biographer (b. 1837)
- 22 February - Leslie Stephen, English writer and critic (b. 1832)
- 5 March - John Lowther du Plat Taylor, British founder of the Army Post Office Corps (b. 1829)
- 17 March - Prince George, Duke of Cambridge, grandson of King George III (b. 1819)
- 10 April - Queen Isabella II of Spain (b. 1830)
- 1 May - Antonín Dvořák, Czech composer (b. 1841)
- 8 May - Eadweard Muybridge, English photographer and motion picture pioneer (b. 1830)
- 10 May - Henry Morton Stanley, Welsh explorer and journalist (b. 1841)
- 19 May - Auguste Molinier, French historian (b. 1851)
- 4 June - George Frederick Phillips, Canadian-born military hero (b. 1862)
- 12 June - Camille de Renesse, Belgian Count (b. 1836)
July - December
- 3 July - Theodor Herzl, Austrian founder of Zionism (b. 1860)
- 5 July - Abai Kunanbaiuli, Kazakh poet (b. 1845)
- 14 July
- Anton Chekhov, Russian writer (b. 1860)
- Paul Kruger, South African resistance leader (b. 1825)
- 22 July - Wilson Barrett, English actor (b. 1846)
- 6 August - Eduard Hanslick, Austrian music critic (b. 1825)
- 16 August - Colonel Prentiss Ingraham, American author of dime fiction (b. 1843)
- 22 August - Kate Chopin, American author (b. 1851)
- 25 August - Henri Fantin-Latour, French painter (b. 1836)
- 29 August - Murad V, Ottoman Sultan (b. 1840)
- 26 September
- 4 October
- Frédéric Bartholdi, Alsatian sculptor (b. 1834)
- Laurence Hope, English poetess (b. 1865)
- 21 October - Isabelle Eberhardt, Swiss-Algerian explorer (b. 1877)
- Physics - The Lord Rayleigh
- Chemistry - Sir William Ramsay
- Physiology or Medicine - Ivan Petrovich Pavlov
- Literature - Frédéric Mistral, José Echegaray Y Eizaguirre
- Peace - Institut De Droit International