2008/9 Schools Wikipedia Selection. Related subjects: Years
|Centuries:||19th century - 20th century - 21st century|
|Decades:||1870s 1880s 1890s - 1900s - 1910s 1920s 1930s|
|Years:||1899 1900 1901 - 1902 - 1903 1904 1905|
Year 1902 (MCMII) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Tuesday of the 13-day-slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1902
- January - In France, Alfred Loisy writes L'évangile et l'Eglise, which inaugurates the Modernist Crisis.
- January 1 - The first college football bowl game, the Rose Bowl between Michigan and Stanford, is held in Pasadena.
- 8 January - A train collision in the New York Central Railroad's Park Avenue Tunnel kills 17, injures 38, and leads to increased demand for electric trains.
- 25 January - A snowstorm at Mount Hakkoda, northern Honshu, Japan, kills 199 during a military training exercise.
- 28 January - The Carnegie Institution is founded in Washington, DC with a $10 million gift from Andrew Carnegie.
- 11 February - Police and universal suffrage demonstrators are involved in a physical altercation in Brussels.
- 15 February - The Berlin U-Bahn underground is opened.
- 18 February - US President Roosevelt prosecutes the Northern Securities Company for violation of the Sherman Act.
- 7 March - Second Boer War: South African Boers win their last battle over British forces, with the capture of a British general and 200 of his men.
- 10 March - A Circuit Court prevents Thomas Edison from having a monopoly on motion picture technology.
- 2 April - "Electric Theatre," the first movie theatre in the United States, opens in Los Angeles, California.
- 13 April - A new car speed record of 74mph is set in Nice, France, by Leon Serpollet.
- 19 April - A magnitude 7.5 earthquake rocks Guatemala, killing 2,000.
- 5 May - The Commonwealth Public Service Act creates Australia's Public Service.
- 8 May - In Martinique, Mount Pelée erupts, destroying the town of Saint-Pierre and killing over 30,000.
- 13 May - Alfonso XIII of Spain begins his reign.
- 15 May - It is claimed that in a field outside Grass Valley, California, Lyman Gilmore achieves flight in a powered airplane (a steam-powered glider). There is no surviving evidence to verify this claim.
- 20 May - Cuba gains independence from the United States.
- 29 May - Lord Rosebery opens London School of Economics.
- 31 May - The Treaty of Vereeniging ends the Second Boer War.
- 2 June - The Anthracite Coal Strike begins in the United States.
- 15 June - The New York Central railroad inaugurates the 20th Century Limited passenger train between Chicago and New York City, New York.
- 16 June - Australia: Female British subjects (with the exception of Asians, Aborigines and Africans) win the vote with the Uniform Franchise Act.
- 17 June - Norwich City Football Club is formed
- 26 June - Edward VII institutes The Order of Merit.
- 10 July - The Rolling Mill Mine disaster in Johnstown, PA kills 112 miners.
- 11 July
- 14 July - St Mark's Campanile in Venice collapses.
- 1 August - 100 miners die in a pit explosion in Wollongong, Australia.
- 9 August - Edward VII is crowned King of the United Kingdom.
- 22 August - Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first American President to ride in an automobile when he rides in a Columbia Electric Victoria through Hartford, Connecticut.
- 16 October - The first Borstal (youth offenders' institution) opens in Borstal, Kent, UK.
- 21 October - In the United States, a five month strike by United Mine Workers ends.
- 30 November - American Old West: Second-in-command of Butch Cassidy's Wild Bunch gang, Kid Curry Logan, is sentenced to 20 years hard labor.
- November-December - Venezuela Crisis between the United States and Germany.
- 10 December - The first Aswan Dam on The Nile is completed.
- 31 December - Scott, Shackleton and Wilson reach the furthest southern point thus far by man at 82°17'S.
- Discovery Expedition (1901-1904)
|Ab urbe condita||2655|
|Bahá'í calendar||58 – 59|
|Byzantine calendar||7410 – 7411|
|Chinese calendar|| 辛丑年十一月廿二日
— to —壬寅年十二月初二日
|Coptic calendar||1618 – 1619|
|Ethiopian calendar||1894 – 1895|
|Hebrew calendar||5662 – 5663|
|- Vikram Samvat||1957 – 1958|
|- Shaka Samvat||1824 – 1825|
|- Kali Yuga||5003 – 5004|
|Iranian calendar||1280 – 1281|
|Islamic calendar||1319 – 1320|
|Japanese calendar|| Meiji 35
|Thai solar calendar||2445|
- 1 January - Buster Nupen, South African cricketer (d. 1977)
- 2 January - Dan Keating, Irish republican (d. 2007)
- 9 January - Rudolph Bing, Austrian-born opera manager (d. 1997)
- 9 January - Josemaría Escrivá, Spanish priest (d. 1975)
- 11 January - Maurice Duruflé, French composer (d. 1986)
- 12 January - King Saud of Saudi Arabia (d. 1969)
- 16 January - Eric Liddell, Scottish runner (d. 1945)
- 20 January - Kevin Barry, Irish republican (d. 1920)
- 22 January - Daniel Kinsey, American hurdler (d. 1970)
- 24 January - E. A. Speiser, American biblical scholar (d. 1965)
- 25 January - André Beaufre, French general (d. 1975)
- 25 January - Pablo Antonio, Filipino modernist architect (d. 1975)
- 26 January - Menno ter Braak, Dutch author and polemicist (d. 1940)
- 31 January - Tallulah Bankhead, American actress (d. 1968)
- 31 January - Alva Myrdal, Swedish politician, diplomat, and writer, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1986)
- 1 February - Langston Hughes, American writer (d. 1967)
- 4 February - Charles Lindbergh, American aviator (d. 1974)
- 4 February - Hartley Shawcross, British barrister and politician (d. 2003)
- 5 February - Iwamoto Kaoru, Japanese professional Go player (d. 1999)
- 6 February - George Brunies, American jazz trombonist (d. 1974)
- 8 February - Demchugdongrub, Mongolian politician (d. 1966)
- 10 February - Walter Houser Brattain, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1987)
- 11 February - Arne Jacobsen, Danish architect and designer (d. 1971)
- 19 February - Kay Boyle, American writer (d. 1992)
- 19 February - Eddie Peabody, American musician (d. 1970)
- 20 February - Ansel Adams, American photographer (d. 1984)
- 26 February - Albert Anastasia, American gangster (d. 1957)
- 27 February - Gene Sarazen, American golfer (d. 1999)
- 27 February - John Steinbeck, American writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1968)
- 4 March - Red Reeder, American soldier and author (d. 1998)
- 7 March - Heinz Rühmann, German actor (d. 1994)
- 9 March - Will Geer, American actor (d. 1978)
- 16 March - Leon Roppolo, American jazz clarinetist (d. 1943)
- 17 March - Bobby Jones, American golfer (d. 1971)
- 21 March - Son House, American musician (d. 1988)
- 24 March - Thomas Dewey, American politician (d. 1971)
- 28 March - Dame Flora Robson, English actress (d. 1984)
- 29 March - William Walton, English composer (d. 1983)
- 29 March - Marcel Aymé, French writer (d. 1967)
- 30 March - Brooke Astor, American socialite and philanthropist (d. 2007)
- 4 April - Louise Leveque de Vilmorin, French actress (d. 1969)
- 4 April - Stanley G. Weinbaum, American science-fiction author (d. 1935)
- 8 April - Andrew Irvine, British mountaineer (d. 1924)
- 12 April - Louis Beel, Prime Minister of the Netherlands (d. 1977)
- 23 April - Halldór Laxness, Icelandic writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1998)
- 25 April - Werner Heyde, German psychiatrist (d. 1964)
- 30 April - Theodore Schultz, American economist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1998)
- 3 May - Alfred Kastler, French physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1984)
- 6 May - Max Ophüls, German-born director (d. 1957)
- 6 May - Harry Golden, American journalist (d. 1981)
- 8 May - Andre Michael Lwoff, French microbiologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1994)
- 10 May - Anatole Litvak, Ukrainian-born film director (d. 1974)
- 10 May - David O. Selznick, American film producer (d. 1965)
- 15 May - Richard J. Daley, American politician (d. 1976)
- 18 May - Meredith Willson, American composer (d. 1984)
- 21 May - Earl Averill, American baseball player (d. 1983)
- 21 May - Marcel Lajos Breuer, Hungarian-born architect (d. 1981)
- 22 May - Al Simmons, American baseball player (d. 1956)
- 18 June - Barbara McClintock, American geneticist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1992)
- 26 June - Hugues Cuénod, Swiss tenor
- 28 June - Richard Rodgers, American composer (d. 1979)
- 4 July - George Murphy, American dancer, actor, and politician (d. 1992)
- 4 July - Meyer Lansky, Russian-born mobster (d. 1983)
- 8 July - Gwendolyn Bennett, American writer (d. 1981)
- 10 July - Kurt Alder, German chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1958)
- 28 July - Karl Raimund Popper, Austrian philosopher (d. 1994)
- 28 July - Albert Namatjira, Australian painter (d. 1959)
- 2 August - Pope Cyril VI of Alexandria, Coptic Orthodox Patriarch (d. 1971)
- 4 August - Clara Peller, American actress (d. 1987)
- 8 August - Paul Dirac, English physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1984)
- 9 August - Zino Francescatti, French violinist (d. 1991)
- 10 August - Norma Shearer, Canadian actress (d. 1983)
- 10 August - Arne Tiselius, Swedish chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1971)
- 11 August - Alfredo Binda, Italian cyclist (d. 1986)
- 18 August - Adamson-Eric, Estonian artist (d. 1968)
- 19 August - Ogden Nash, American poet (d. 1971)
- 19 August - J. B. L. Reyes, Filipino jurist (d. 1994)
- 22 August - Leni Riefenstahl, German film director (d. 2003)
- 24 August - Carlo Gambino, American gangster (d. 1976)
- 25 August - Stefan Wolpe, German-born composer (d. 1972)
- 12 September - Juscelino Kubitschek de Oliveira, President of Brazil (d. 1976)
- 14 September - Giorgos Papasideris, Greek singer, composer, and lyricist (d. 1977)
- 21 September - Luis Cernuda, Spanish poet (d. 1963)
- 22 September - John Houseman, Romanian-born actor and producer (d. 1988)
- 24 September - Ruhollah Khomeini, Iranian Shia cleric (d. 1989)
- 5 October - Larry Fine, American actor and comedian (d. 1975)
- 5 October - Ray Kroc, American fast food entrepreneur (d. 1984)
- 13 October - Arna Wendell Bontemps, American writer (d. 1973)
- 18 October - Miriam Hopkins, American actress (d. 1972)
- 18 October - Pascual Jordan, German physicist (d. 1980)
- 25 October - Eddie Lang, American jazz guitarist (d. 1933)
- November - Peter Pitseolak, Inuit photographer and author (d. 1973)
- 1 November - Eugen Jochum, German conductor (d. 1987)
- 2 November - Princess Mafalda of Savoy (d. 1944)
- 9 November - Anthony Asquith, British film director (d. 1968)
- 17 November - Eugene Wigner, Hungarian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1995)
- 21 November - Mikhail Suslov, Soviet politician (d. 1982)
- 23 November - Victor Jory, Canadian actor (d. 1982)
- 2 December - Wifredo Lam, Cuban artist (d. 1982)
- 5 December - Strom Thurmond, American politician (d. 2003)
- 9 December - Margaret Hamilton, American actress (d. 1985)
- 20 December - Prince George, Duke of Kent (d. 1942)
- 23 December - Norman Maclean, American author (d. 1990)
- 28 December - Mortimer Adler, American philosopher (d. 2001)
- 28 December - Shen Congwen, Chinese writer (d. 1988)
January - June
- 11 January - Johnny Briggs, English cricketer (b. 1862)
- 15 February - Viggo Hørup, Danish politician (b. 1841)
- 27 February - Harry 'Breaker' Morant, Australian soldier (b. 1864)
- 27 February - Peter Handcock, Australian soldier (b. 1869)
- 26 March - Cecil Rhodes, British imperialist (b. 1853)
- 2 April - Esther Hobart Morris, American suffragist judge (b. 1814)
- 15 April - Jules Dalou, French sculptor (b. 1838)
- 21 April - Ethna Carbery, Irish poet (b. 1866)
- 6 May - Bret Harte, American writer (b. 1836)
- 26 May - Almon Strowger, American inventor (b. 1839)
- 10 June - Jacint Verdaguer, Catalan poet (b. 1845)
- 10 June - Auguste Schmidt, German educator and activist (b. 1833)
- 18 June - Samuel Butler, British author (b. 1835)
July - December
- 4 July - Swami Vivekananda, Indian religious leader (b. 1863)
- 6 July - Maria Goretti, Italian Catholic saint (b. 1890)
- 8 August - James Tissot, French artist (b. 1836)
- 5 September - Rudolf Virchow, German scientist and politician (b. 1821)
- 6 September - Sir Frederick Augustus Abel, British chemist (b. 1827)
- 29 September - Emile Zola, French author (b. 1840)
- 26 October - Elizabeth Cady Stanton, American activist (b. 1815)
- 4 November - Hale Johnson, American politician (b. 1847)
- 17 November - Hugh Price Hughes, Welsh social reformer (b. 1847)
- 3 December - Robert Lawson, New Zealand architect (b. 1833)
- 22 December - Richard von Krafft-Ebing, German sexologist (b. 1840)
- 23 December - Frederick Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury (b. 1821)
- Physics - Hendrik Antoon Lorentz, Pieter Zeeman
- Chemistry - Hermann Emil Fischer
- Medicine - Ronald Ross
- Literature - Christian Matthias Theodor Mommsen
- Peace - Élie Ducommun, Charles Albert Gobat