2008/9 Schools Wikipedia Selection. Related subjects: Years
|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:||1780s 1790s 1800s - 1810s - 1820s 1830s 1840s|
|Years:||1816 1817 1818 - 1819 - 1820 1821 1822|
Year 1819 (MDCCCXIX) was a common year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) in the Gregorian Calendar (or a common year starting on Wednesday of the 12-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1819
- January 17 - Simón Bolívar proclaims the Republic of Gran Colombia.
- January 25 - Thomas Jefferson founds the University of Virginia.
- January 29 - Sir Stamford Raffles lands on the island of Singapore.
- February 6 - Formal treaty between Hussein Shah of Johor and the British Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles establishes a trading settlement in Singapore.
- February 15 - The United States House of Representatives agrees to the Tallmadge Amendment barring slaves from the new state of Missouri, the opening vote in a controversy that leads to the Missouri Compromise.
- February 22 - Spain cedes Florida to the United States. (see Adams-Onís Treaty)
- March 1 - U.S. naval vessel USS Columbus is launched in Washington, DC.
- March 20 – Burlington Arcade opened in London.
- May 22 - The SS Savannah leaves port at Savannah, Georgia on a voyage to become the first steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean. The ship will arrive at Liverpool, England on June 20.
- May 31 - Walt Whitman is born on Long Island in New York
- August 6 - Norwich University founded by Captain Alden Partridge in Vermont as the first private military school in the United States.
- August 7 - Simón Bolívar is victorious in the Battle of Boyacá in Colombia.
- August 16 - Peterloo Massacre in Manchester, UK. Cavalry charge into a crowd of protesters results in 11 deaths and over 400 injuries.
- December 14 - Alabama is admitted as the 22nd U.S. state.
- Panic of 1819 - first major financial crisis in the United States
- 'Ai Noa in Hawaii.
- McCulloch v. Maryland case.
- Serfdom is abolished in Livonia.
|Ab urbe condita||2572|
|Bahá'í calendar||-25 – -24|
— to —4456/4516-11-15
|Coptic calendar||1535 – 1536|
|Ethiopian calendar||1811 – 1812|
|Hebrew calendar||5579 – 5580|
|- Vikram Samvat||1874 – 1875|
|- Shaka Samvat||1741 – 1742|
|- Kali Yuga||4920 – 4921|
|Iranian calendar||1197 – 1198|
|Islamic calendar||1234 – 1235|
|Japanese calendar|| Bunsei 2
|Thai solar calendar||2362|
January - June
- February 8 - John Ruskin, English writer, artist, and social critic (d. 1900)
- February 11 - Samuel Parkman Tuckerman, American composer (d. 1890)
- February 14 - Joshua A. Norton, self-proclaimed " Emperor of these United States" (d. 1880)
- February 20 - Alfred Escher, Swiss politician, railroad entrepreneur (d. 1882)
- February 22 - James Russell Lowell, American poet and essayist (d. 1891)
- March 3 - Gustave de Molinari, Belgian economist (d. 1912)
- March 14 - Eric Edlund, swedish physicist and meteorologist † 1888
- March 31 - Prince Chlodwig zu Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst, Chancellor of Germany (d. 1901)
- April 4 - Queen Maria II of Portugal (d. 1853)
- April 9 - Annibale de Gasparis, Italian astronomer (d. 1892)
- April 11 - Charles Hallé, German pianist and conductor (d. 1895)
- April 18 - Franz von Suppé, Austrian composer (d. 1895)
- April 28 - Ezra Abbot, American Biblical scholar (d. 1884)
- May 5 - Stanisław Moniuszko, Polish composer (d. 1872)
- May 24 - Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom (d. 1901)
- May 27 - Julia Ward Howe, American abolitionist and poet (d. 1910)
- May 31 - Walt Whitman, American poet (d. 1892)
- June 5 - John Couch Adams, English astronomer (d. 1892)
- June 10 - Gustave Courbet, French painter (d. 1877)
- June 20 - Jacques Offenbach, German-born composer (d. 1880)
- June 29 - Nicolae Bălcescu, Wallachian revolutionary (d. 1852)
July - December
- July 19 - Gottfried Keller, Swiss writer (d. 1890)
- August 1
- August 13 - Sir George Gabriel Stokes, Irish mathematician and physicist (d. 1903)
- August 25 - Allan Pinkerton, American detective (d. 1884)
- August 26 - Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Prince Consort to Queen Victoria (d. 1861)
- September 7 - Thomas Hendricks, Vice President of the United States (d. 1885)
- September 13 - Clara Schumann, German composer and pianist (d. 1896)
- September 22 - Wilhelm Wattenbach, German historian (d. 1897)
- October 16 - Austin F. Pike, American politician from New Hampshire (d. 1886)
- October 20 - The Báb, Persian founder of the Bábi Faith (d. 1850)
- November 22 - George Eliot, British novelist (d. 1880)
- December 30 - Theodor Fontane, German writer (d. 1898)
- Felice Orsini, Italian revolutionary (d. 1858)
January - June
- February 17 - Henry Constantine Jennings, British collector and gambler (b. 1731)
- February 25 - Francisco Manoel de Nascimento, poet (b. 1734)
- May 8 - Kamehameha I, King of Hawaii (b. 1738)
- May 22 - Hugh Williamson, American Founding Father (b. 1735)
July - December
- July 1 - Jemima Wilkinson, American preacher (b. 1754)
- August 21 - Haim Farkhi, Jewish adviser to Ottoman Empire (assassinated) (b. 1760)
- August 23 - Oliver Hazard Perry, American naval officer (b. 1785)
- August 25 - James Watt, Scottish inventor (b. 1736)
- September 12 - Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, Prussian general (b. 1742)
- September 20 - Abbé Faria, hypnotist (b. 1746)
- December 5 - Friedrich Leopold Graf zu Stolberg, German poet (b. 1750)
- December 19 - Sir Thomas Fremantle, English naval officer and politician (b. 1765)