2008/9 Schools Wikipedia Selection. Related subjects: Years
|Centuries:||17th century - 18th century - 19th century|
|Decades:||1740s 1750s 1760s - 1770s - 1780s 1790s 1800s|
|Years:||1774 1775 1776 - 1777 - 1778 1779 1780|
Year 1777 (MDCCLXXVII) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Sunday of the 11-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1777
January - June
- January 3 - American Revolution: American general George Washington defeats British general Charles Cornwallis at the Battle of Princeton.
- January 12 - Mission Santa Clara de Asís is founded in what is now Santa Clara, California.
- January 15 - Vermont declares its independence from New York becoming an independent country, a status it retained until it joined the United States as the 14th state in 1791.
- May 16 - Lachlan McIntosh and Button Gwinnett shoot each other during a duel near Savannah, Georgia. Gwinnett, a signer of the United States Declaration of Independence, dies three days later.
- June 13 - American Revolution: Marquis de Lafayette lands near Charleston, South Carolina to help the Continental Congress train its army.
- June 14 - Stars and Stripes adopted by the Continental Congress as the Flag of the United States.
July - December
- August 16 - American Revolution: Battle of Bennington - British forces are defeated by American troops.
- September 3 - Cooch's Bridge - Skirmish of American Revolutionary war in New Castle County, Delaware where the Flag of the United States was flown in battle for the first time.
- September 11 - Battle of Brandywine - Major American Revolutionary war victory for British in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
- September 19 - American Revolution: First Battle of Saratoga/ Battle of Freeman's Farm/ Battle of Bemis Heights.
- October 4 - American Revolution: Battle of Germantown- Troops under George Washington are repelled by British troops under Sir William Howe.
- October 17 - American Revolution: Battle of Saratoga- American troops defeat the British.
- November 15 - American Revolution: After 16 months of debate, the Continental Congress approves the Articles of Confederation in the temporary American capital at York, Pennsylvania.
- November 17 - Articles of Confederation submitted to the states for ratification.
- November 29 - San Jose, California founded. It is the first pueblo in Spanish Alta California.
- December - Death of Dolly Pentreath, claimed to be the last speaker of the Cornish language.
- December 19 - American Revolution: George Washington's Continental Army goes into winter quarters at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.
- December 24 - Kiritimati discovered by James Cook.
- The 2nd edition of Encyclopædia Britannica is published.
- The code duello is adopted at the Clonmell Summer Assizes as the form for pistol duels in Ireland. It is quickly denounced but nevertheless widely adopted throughout the English-speaking world.
|Ab urbe condita||2530|
|Bahá'í calendar||-67 – -66|
— to —4414/4474-12-2
|Coptic calendar||1493 – 1494|
|Ethiopian calendar||1769 – 1770|
|Hebrew calendar||5537 – 5538|
|- Vikram Samvat||1832 – 1833|
|- Shaka Samvat||1699 – 1700|
|- Kali Yuga||4878 – 4879|
|Iranian calendar||1155 – 1156|
|Islamic calendar||1190 – 1191|
|Japanese calendar|| An'ei 6
|Thai solar calendar||2320|
- October 1 - Zaro Aga d.(1934)
- January 2 - Christian Daniel Rauch, German sculptor (d. 1857)
- January 5 - Robert Hart, Father of the British 1820 settlers to South Africa (d. 1867)
- February 12 - Friedrich de la Motte Fouque, French poet (d. 1843)
- March 17 - Roger Taney, Chief Justice of the United States (d. 1864)
- April 12 - Henry Clay, American statesman (d. 1852)
- April 30 - Carl Friedrich Gauss, German mathematician, astronomer, and physicist (d. 1855)
- June 12 - Robert Clark, American politician (d. 1837)
- August 14 - Hans Christian Ørsted, Danish physicist and chemist (d. 1851)
- October 16 - Lorenzo Dow, American Methodist preacher (d. 1834)
- October 18 - Heinrich von Kleist, German writer (d. 1811)
- December 4 - Madame Récamier, French writer (d. 1849)
- December 23 - Emperor Alexander I of Russia (d. 1825)
- date unknown - Benjamin d'Urban, British general and colonial administrator (d. 1849)
- January 10 - Spranger Barry, Irish actor (b. 1719)
- January 12 - Hugh Mercer, American Revolutionary War officer (mortally wounded in battle)
- February 9 - Seth Pomeroy, American gunsmith and soldier (b. 1706)
- February 24 - King Joseph I of Portugal (b. 1714)
- March 1 - Georg Christoph Wagenseil, Austrian composer (b. 1715)
- May 11 - George Pigot, Baron Pigot, British governor of Madras (b. 1719)
- May 19 - Button Gwinnett, American signer of the Declaration of Independence (b. 1735)
- September 22 - John Bartram, American botanist (b. 1699)
- September 25 - Johann H. Lambert, mathematician, physicist and astronomer (b. 1728)
- October 21 - Samuel Foote, English dramatist and actor (b. 1720)
- November 10 - Cornstalk, Shawnee chief